Shortcut

PrevPrev Article

NextNext Article

ESCClose

Larger Font Smaller Font Up Down Go comment Print

1.jpeg2.jpeg3.jpeg4.jpeg5.jpeg6.jpeg7.jpeg8.jpeg9.jpegLEE HEUNG YONG bakery

이흥용 빵집

1.jpeg

South Korea, known to be the land of kimchi and rice there has always been a steady growth in bread consumers these days. As the younger generations continue to explore and have a taste towards different types of food. The bread industry has definitely seen a massive market and rise in the industry. 

Recently, there has been an upcoming trend for red bean stuffed with a thick slice of butter in bread also known as “팥버터빵”. 

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

4.jpeg

At first the idea of having such a thick slice of butter on your bread makes you think twice about your wasteline, but the butter is of great quality and you can definitely taste it. 

I suggest giving it a try at least once. Surprisingly, the butter goes extremely well with the red bean consistency and it gives it a new kick to its unique flavor. 

5.jpeg

I tried the original version of this with just plain bread and saw they had a squid ink option as well. Truthfully I don't find much difference between the two in terms of taste. Both are just as delicious.

6.jpeg

The bread was really delicious with a hard shell outside and soft and chewy on the inside. The butter was also not overwhelming greasy, initally when I saw this kind of bread I was a bit shocked at how thick the layer of butter was on the bread, and found it scary at first. Luckily, when I had my first bite, I found it pleasantly enjoyable. I think the bread consistency and chewy texture really makes up for it. Perhaps, if it was on a simple toast then the butter woud be way too much. On this kind of bread though alongside red bean, it was great! 

7.jpeg

The bakery is literally a hole in he wall in shinsegae mall as this bakery was originally located in Busan and now they’ve opened up a store in Seoul as well. 

If you’d like to get a taste of this, visit Express Bus Terminal Station, Exit 8-1 and when you walk in, you’re already on the food court floor.  

8.jpeg

There are so many varieties to choose from and it might take you a while to choose but I would recommend trying the red bean and butter bread if you haven’t already done so. I haven’t seen any other bakeries put red bean and butter together until now. Not sure if this will be a lasting fad or here to stay. If you’re visiting Korea, I would suggest you give it a go! YOLO! 

9.jpeg

If you’re really not into butter or red bean, I still think this bakery is worth a visit! There are many delicious looking breads available and I’m pretty sure they taste just as good as they look. You'll definitely find something of your interest wink